English version  Deutsche version





 

   



       


 
  Bila Tserkva (Belaya Tserkov in Russian) is a city (est. 200,000) in Kyiv oblast, situated in the Dnieper Upland on the Ros River.The present name of the city, literally translated, is "White Church" and may refer to the (not longer extant) white-painted cathedral of medieval Yuriev.
It was built on the site of Yuriev, a town founded in 1032. In the mid-16th century, when Bila Tserkva belonged to the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, a fortified castle was built; under Polish rule it was an important county town and in Cossack times the seat of the Bila Tserkva regiment (164874, 170212). Was granted Magdeburg Rights in 1620 by Sigismund III Vasa. In 1651 Bohdan Khmelnytsky signed the Treaty of Bila Tserkva with the Poles. In 1702 Bila Tserkva was the center of an anti-Polish uprising led by Semen Palii. In 1793 it became part of the Russian Empire. Its population was 17,200 in 1860 and 35,400 in 1897. Before 1914 the city was involved in food production, artisanry, and trade, particularly in agricultural products and sugar. Under the Central Rada the leaders of the Free Cossacks were stationed in Bila Tserkva; in 1918 a detachment of Sich Riflemen was formed here, and the uprising against Hetman Pavlo Skoropadsky was initiated.
Under Soviet rule Bila Tserkva began to develop after the Second World Warthe population was 39,000 in 1926, 47,000 in 1939, 71,000 in 1959, 109,000 in 1970, and 146,000 in 1978. Today the city manufactures farm machinery (the factory was established in 1850 and in 1957 began to specialize in building machines for the production of feed for livestock), electrical capacitors, tires, rubber-asbestos products, shoes, clothing, furniture, and reinforced-concrete products.
The city has an institute of agriculture, which began as a polytechnical institute in 1920. It had 4,000 students in 1968 and publishes scientific papers. The city also has an ethnographic museum, an oblast dramatic theater, the Saksahansky Theater, and Oleksandriia Dendrological Park, which has an area of 2,000ha, it was founded in 1793-1799 by the wife of the Polish king Franciszek Ksawery Branicki. Located between Skvyrsky road and the river Ros. Architect: D. Botani, landscape artist : A. Stanhe. An example of a lanscaped park of the 18th-19th centuries. More than 600 species of exotic trees and shrubs grow in the park.
The most famous churches and buildings are:
- Preobrazhensky (Transfiguration) cathedral , 1833-39 , built in the classical style.
-
Saint Nicholas's Church (1706), 1706, completed in 1852, has unusual asymmetrical structure.
- Saint Ioan Predtecha roman catholic church , 1812, situated on Zamkova Gora, on the site of a cathedral of the city of Yuryev. A classical roman catholic church with Corinthian porticos.
-
arket stalls (180914),  the covered market.
- The complex of postal buildings (1825-31).
- There are also Palladian wooden buildings of the Branickis' "Winter Palace" and the district nobility assembly.